Mentors are all around us when we look through our life and workplace. For me, 2018 was filled with inspiring and varied individuals and leadership styles. Several leaders had a big impact on my personal and professional development in 2018, as I made a transition from consulting on product and engineering strategy and execution with TribalScale in MENA to an internal product role with OLX Group in Europe. It was an incredibly challenging transition, but learnings from these leaders helped me navigate and succeed through the experience.
- Sheetal (CEO, TribalScale): Lead the team boldly, be uncompromising in the vision, and show that you fight for your group with your work ethic.
- Mitch (Head of Delivery, TribalScale): Be calm in turmoil to show the team you can handle anything.
- Jorge (VP, Head of Web & Mobile Delivery, Emirates Airlines): Be clear, specific, and aware to build and manage the message and perception in executive situations. As a leader, balance strong breadth with depth across your domain.
- Gareth (Head of Mobile Delivery, Emirates Airlines): The importance of accountability can’t be understated. Get agreements with dates and specifics to tie accountability to individuals.
- Martin (Head of Product, OLX): Show leadership value by empowering your team, not by pulling rank.